Friday, September 25, 2009

My how the time does fly by..

Today marks Ezra's first 12 weeks here on this earth. Can you believe it? 12 weeks has already come and went since that wonderful Friday when we, my wonderful hubby and I, brought this little man into the world.

12 WEEKS!! That's a long time.
I remember it like it was yesterday though.

I'd been to see Jed just two days before. I was so hoping that I could convince him to start me on the 8th rather than wait until the 12th (07-08-09 would have been awesome). I asked him about this as soon as he walked into the room. He reassured me that the 12th was the earliest he could start me. I was a little sad, but at least I knew I had less than 2 weeks left being pregnant. I told him that I was a little worried about my swelling, because in just that last week I could no longer put shoes on. Even my flip flops that were a size to big got stuck on my feet. He told me again that it was normal and then he compared my weight to the last weeks.I had gained nearly 10 pounds in 6 days! I was showing signs of preeclampsia and it hit quickly. He said that I needed to have this baby soon. I was dilated to a 2 and with the way that my contractions were going, he said he didn't think I'd make it through the weekend. However, if I did and was still pregnant at my next scheduled appointment (07/08/09) then he would start me that day. (I was secretly cheering- I wasn't so worried about the preeclampsia because I was at the point that if I had Ezra, he would be fine and I didn't have much to worry about. And I knew that I now only had 1 week left to be pregnant! YAY!!)
We spent the next evening at my boss' house. I played with his adorable daughter and visited with his wonderful wife while Jarom and Nate worked on tiling their bathroom. We had that Friday off for the 4th so we stayed at their house until after 9. I'd been having really intense contractions while we were there and so I was a little uncomfortable. I remember telling Kimberly that I had been having contractions and she was surprised because I didn't seem like what she expected someone having contractions would be like. (I was proud of myself.. but I'd had a lot of practice since I'd been dealing with them for more than a week at work.)
When we got home that night, I took a hot shower because I was in so much pain. Jarom went and picked up my little brother because Jarom was going to take him driving the next day and we decided he should just stay the night to make it easier. Devin came and we all hung out and talked for a little while and then went to bed. Well- they went to bed. I paced my bedroom because I was in so much pain. I hadn't slept really in weeks because I was in so much pain and couldn't ever get comfortable. I watched the clock pass as I timed contractions. About 2 in the morning, I shoved Jarom and told him that my contractions had been 2 minutes apart for over an hour and I thought we should go to the hospital. He groaned and said "You're fine honey. It's not time. Just go back to sleep." So I waited. And waited.
At 3:00 I shoved him again. "Jarom, they are less than 2 minutes apart and have been for the last hour. That means for 2 hours my contractions have been as close as they should be before you go to the hospital. I think we need to go." And what does he do?
Groans and says yet again: "You're fine honey. Just get back in bed and go to sleep." Aargh. So I got on the computer and tried to find the number to labor and delivery so that I could get someone there to tell me we needed to come in so I could get Jarom out of bed. But I was in too much pain and I couldn't sit still long enough to patiently search for this number. So I got back in bed and tried to get comfortable enough to sleep. It was 4:00 before I ever dosed off.
I woke up at 4:30 in tears because I hurt so bad. Jarom kind of woke up and tried to console me with "You're fine honey. You just need sleep. Come here, I'll hold you." I was a little annoyed you but it was sweet that he sort of wanted to help. But I couldn't stand the pain. I thought- maybe if I go to the bathroom I'll feel better and if not I'll take another shower. So I got up and went to the bathroom. I yelled at Jarom, "WE NEED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL!" and he again said that it wasn't time. I was so angry so I started screaming "I think my water broke, we NEED to go to the hospital so get your butt out of bed!" He got up and walked to the bathroom door and stared at me. "What do you mean your water broke?" Seriously. He wanted an explanation of what that meant. But he was half asleep. So I told him that we needed to go and he needed to get ready and get my stuff. He said okay and then just stood there. I told him again that we needed to go and he said that he was ready. I laughed. He wasn't dressed and I had to remind him that he couldn't go out in public without putting clothes on first. It was funny. But he finally got ready.
I woke my little brother up and told him that we needed to go to the hospital and he would have to stay there alone but I'd call someone to pick him up later. He said "Sweet. Go have a baby. Goodnight."
We got to the hospital about 5 am and they confirmed that my water had broke and I was going to have this baby before I left the hospital. YAY! It was time. But I was miserable. I was in so much pain and I just cried. McKay was a little busy. Lots of women were having or had just had a baby. But they still got me into my own room quickly. When the doctor came to give me my epidural, I was thrilled! Unfortunately, the local anesthetic didn't work very well so I had to have like 5 shots of it before I couldn't feel the sharp epidural needle.
Jed came and checked on me and told me that I'd be fine. He told me that he was leaving on vacation that day around noon so I needed to have the baby before then. He wished me luck and then left to go pack up.
I dilated pretty decently. By noon I was pushing. It was awful!! Every time I pushed, Ezra's heart rate dropped quite a bit. The nurse who was helping me said that usually they wait a little bit to get the doctor in because you usually push for quite a while before they need him. But she was concerned about the baby so she got Jed right away. He was there quick and asked a nurse to make sure that an OR was ready in case I needed to have an emergency c-section. Jed was so amazing. He just kept reassuring me that everything would be fine and that he was taking precautions to make sure that if anything changed, we wouldn't have to wait at all to get me in to the operating room. But he told me that he was pretty sure I wouldn't have to do that. I didn't really care. I just wanted to have this baby and for him to be okay. I pushed for what seemed like forever, but it was probably around a half hour. I told Jed that I was really dizzy and was seeing black dots, and he said it was normal to get dizzy from pushing but to let him know if it got worse. I think it was only 2 sets of pushes later when Jed said "We're losing her! Amber, Amber, wake up. Stay with us. Tell the OR we're coming now." And all the sudden there was big commotion. My mom was there with us and she started bawling. I told her not to worry, I wasn't afraid of the surgery and everything would be fine. I just asked that she tell my dad that I was going to have a c-section instead but that I was fine. She just kept crying.
When we got to the OR, Jed marked where the incision would be. I told him that I could feel it and it kind of hurt. He looked at me like I was crazy and then he grabbed tweezers to see if I could really feel it. I couldn't see what he was doing (Jarom told me that it was tweezers that he pinched me with) but I screamed "Ouch" when he pinched me with them. He said: "Wrong answer." They told me that I would need to be put completely out for the surgery because the spot where my epidural wasn't working was exactly where they needed to cut. So I got some drugs and to sleep I went.
A little over 3 hours later.. I woke up. To my hubby saying "He is so cute. He has long blonde hair." I was so confused.. my thoughts went something like this: who is he talking about? The baby, it's probably the baby. Long blonde hair? Is that possible? You probably can't even see it. "Is he cute?" Yes. "How big was he?" 6lb 10oz "Is he okay?" Yep. And out I went. A few minutes later I woke up and Jarom and I went through the same conversation. And we did this for the next little while as I slowly regained myself. I was laughed at.. so much so. Jarom laughed, Katie laughed, so did her boyfriend and everyone else so I woke up to at one moment or another. And then they took me to my room so I could wait for my baby to come to me so I could feed him.
And he came- and he was beautiful and handsome and tiny and so HUNGRY! He was here, and he was mine and he was perfect. I loved him so much instantly. It's amazing how much your heart grows when a child enters your life.

And now.. now I love him even more. Every day I love him more and I am so so glad that he is here and he is perfect.
I took this picture of him this morning so that I could show all of you how big my little man is.
Isn't he just adorable? And HUGE?!
I love my little chunky man!

12 weeks. It's gone by so fast. He has grown so much. And now I have to go back to work. No more long days with my baby. I will instead have 3 long days at work. But at least I get to be home the other 4 days and I can snuggle and love him all I want.

1 comment:

  1. Just you wait it seems like all I did was blinked my eyes and 2 years later I have a crazy toddler that's getting into the terrible 2 they'll be here before you know it.