Monday, June 01, 2009

Clarification

I just read over my last blog and realized that it kind of came across that I had a problem with gaining weight while pregnant. I think I need to clarify something..



I AM NOT FAT! I am 8 months pregnant and I am at a healthy weight for pregnancy and for my size. I do not think I am fat. I am not worried about looking fat. I do not have a problem with gaining weight while pregnant and I know that I may not ever get to be as little as I once was but that is okay because bringing a life into this world and caring for this child is much more important than being a size 6. [Most of this pregnancy I have been BEGGING to gain some weight.]

When I was told that I had gained too much weight too fast and was lectured a little on things that I should change to do better, I did feel bad about myself and maybe a little 'fat' but only because I felt that I was doing something wrong for my health and the health of my baby. I don't know many women, pregnant or not, who could have someone tell them that they are gaining way too much weight too quickly who would not feel a little self conscious and even a little worried. I know that I do not look fat, I know that I am not fat. But for the last little while I have felt like maybe I have been slacking off and that maybe I really needed to do better. I did not want to do things that were going to make me fat in a way that was unhealthy for my baby.

Yes- I worry about gaining more weight than is recommended because of the risks it could pose to my baby or myself. But I also know that it is different for every woman and every pregnancy. I try to be more careful with what I eat and how much I exercise because I know that I need to be strong, healthy, and not gaining too much or too little weight to quickly in order for Ezra to be healthy. I want what is best for him, whether that means I need to gain 10 pounds, or I need to really alter what I eat to try to only gain 3 lbs between visits. I just want what is best for him. For me, being lectured about gaining weight too fast did scare me and make me feel self conscious, and even worried about my weight gain, but I am not worried about my weight gain for my own sake, but for the health and well being of my baby. What mom to be wouldn't be?

I apologize if maybe it came across that I personally felt fat and [ugh] wanted to lose weight. I don't. I just want to be healthy for my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment